Friday, August 14, 2015

Smoothies, Allergies and Baby Bunnies

It seems every year we go to Canada, we come back with some new food plan. Last year, Uncle Terry and Aunt Paula were in to making veggie platters. They would just whip one up and then snack on it for days with a little dip. We got home and David did this for months. Instead of a bag of chips on the weekend, he'd dive into the veggie platter.

This year, they got a Ninja and were making smoothies. David had a few and really enjoyed them. When we got home, I decided I should substitute my morning bagel for a smoothie. We don't have a Ninja, but our regular blender works fine. And by fine, I mean it takes about 10 minutes to make it and you have to reach in there with a spoon a dozen times. I loved the smoothies, but found they were really time consuming, especially on school days.

So, every Sunday, I prep 5 days of smoothies to get me through the week. The fruit containers on top, with strawberries, bananas, blueberries and pears/peaches/pineapple, whatever is going bad) go in the freezer. The bottom containers with kale, carrots and apples go in the fridge.


I mix it with some soymilk, V8 veggie juice, whey protein and yogurt.  But, our little blender was having a hard time keeping up.  I dreamed of a Ninja, but not the $150 price tag.  David and I both noticed it in the Target ad on Sunday.  We even both looked it up online and looked at it longingly.  Thursday evening rolls around and the doorbell rings.  It's UPS with a big box from Target.  We open it and inside is a beautiful Ninja.  David is looking at me and I'm looking at him and we are both like, what?  I said, I looked at it online, maybe I accidentally ordered it?  He said the same thing.  We were both confused.  I looked at the receipt.  


My boss sent it!  Included was a nice note:
How nice is that?  I told her when we went to the ballgame that I was doing smoothies every morning.  It's nice that your boss appreciates you and listens to you.  She's on vacation for several weeks and so is another gal that works with us, so I'm holding down for fort for most of August.  I certainly wasn't expecting a Ninja as a thank you!  It's so nice.  I put in all my ingredients in those smaller smoothie cups and blend it in there and then just add the lid.  Easy peasy!  I love it.  Seriously, it went from blending for 10 minutes to 10 seconds.  No joke.  Plus, I've lost 4 pounds in a month with just this one little change.  Sweet!

On to other topics....so, I help out in the school every week.  Last week, I was waiting for one of the teachers when I noticed the signs outside pretty much every classroom door.

This is on Ben's class room door.  


This is another.  Peaches?  Really?  That sucks.  I'd rather be allergic to a peanut than a peach.

Bummer, the school has a dog and birds in the office and a cat in the library, which I think is pretty darn awesome. It should be a law that every library needs a cat.  Emily and Noah are both a little allergic to cats.  They just don't touch Dewey.  Isn't that a cute cat name at a library?  You know for the Dewey Decimal system.  Plus, the town next to us is Dewey.  It's adorable and was found as a stray on the school property.


And, then I saw this one and laughed out loud.  David thinks it's a joke.  I don't think they joke about this kind of stuff.  But, you know kids are always bringing shrimp to school in fourth grade.  :)

We keep seeing this adorable little guy on our way to the pool every night.  He's so tiny.  The kids named him Geo.  

Oh my gosh, I want to take him home.  But, we'd probably all get rabies, so we'll leave him in the bushes.

It seems like we live in a pretty populated area, but we are still in the country.  These bunnies are everywhere.  We have a bunch that live in our front yard.  The coyotes are howling at night.  On our walk the other day, David and I saw a skunk about 10 feet in front of us. Luckily, he scampered away without spraying us.  There are frogs all over the place.  My friends just got a snake out of their backyard.  We are definitely country folk.  I feel like walking around the neighborhood is a little episode of Nat Geo.  Oh wait, I just got the Geo reference for the bunny.  How cute is that?  

2 comments:

Linda said...

So many great things in this post. That's wonderful about the Ninja! How sweet and thoughtful of your boss. I've never really been a fan of smoothies, but I do like all of the veggie platter things and fruit of course (that's my daily meal besides dinner).

I'm not sure how I feel about all of the allergy signs at the school - seems like to me that teachers have way too many things to think of besides just teaching, but that's just my opinion. However, as you know - I am the mom of a grown kid will allergies - milk protein and eggs - but we never freaked out about anything at school and always tried to put the administration at ease because Sarah always knew what level of these things she could endure. So, for us - we've always believed it's up to parents to educate their own children and just deal with it because you know - out in the world, people aren't going to care about your allergies. I used to bring PB sandwiches to work for many years - it's my lunch after all. I don't eat those things anymore, but I can't guarantee what I'm eating isn't something that someone else is allergic to. I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say.... we just believe it's personal responsibility. Sarah knew as young as 2 years old what she could and couldn't have and spoke up about it. ;)

Love, Linda

Piper AndTheKids said...

Sterling would be the kid that shrimp sign is aimed at since he often brings leftovers for his lunch and the kid loves shrimp :p He would snag a serving at dinner and squirrel it away in the fridge for lunch the next day :p