Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Gymnastics....Again

We always quit extra stuff when the summer comes. The kids just prefer to play at home and go to the pool. Plus, we seem to be gone more of the summer than we are home. When the school year started in August, I asked the kids if they wanted to start back up with gymnastics and karate. They weren't that enthusiastic, so that meant no. Fine with me. Emily still takes piano though.

Then, she tells me last week that she thinks she wants to take gymnastics again. Ugh. What she really wants to learn though is just the tumbling portion of it. I mean, unless you have the drive to be a competitive gymnast, why spend your time on the vault? She just wants to learn how to do a backhand spring. In her last gymnastics class, it was 2 1/2 hours long. About 30 minutes was spent on vault, bar, beam and floor. You really didn't have a chance to get really great in one area, especially since there was typically 10-15 girls in each class. So, we looked at her same gymnastics studio since we love it there and they have a tumbling class. One hour, tumbling only! Sweet!

Em went tonight to try it out. I don't like that it's 7-8 at night. Normally, we are in p.j.'s by then, but whatever. It's one night a week and we all know Emily isn't tired. Ever. Before her class tonight, she could do handstands and backbends, but that was about it. She came so far in one night. I was shocked and so super proud of her! Well, not shocked that she did so well, just shocked at what she learned.

They started learning backhand springs on this big round yellow mat. She never jumped back like that, so that step is huge.


She did that a bunch. Then, she did some back flips with a spot into the pit. She's never done a back flip before, not even on a trampoline.


Then, she was doing back flips without a spot!


Then, she did a front flip on her own. What???


Then, she did backhand springs on the soft mat! Holy cow!


Then, she did it on the regular floor. Is this fast progress or what???


I could tell she was getting tired at the end of it. But, she ended the evening with one last back flip.


I am so, so proud of all that she accomplished in one night. I wasn't sure how she would do in this class. It's mostly high school girls that need to work on tumbling for cheerleading. But, Em not only kept up but was one of the best.

So, now you know where I'll be very Tuesday night.

As we were leaving Ben said, so what do I get to do now? I think I want to do drama again!

Here we go....

4 comments:

Linda said...

That's great that you found a class that only lasts an hour and only one night a week, and Emily did fantastic!!

I was never any sort of a tumbler so I'm always amazed that people can do that.

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

I haven't checked the videos yet , but will as soon as I send this off. My computer has been really slow today, not sure if it's the internet or if it is just F/B anyway wanted to send this while I am not frustrated from trying to play the videos if that should happen. :)
I guess now that Em is getting closer to being a teen she is starting to know what she wants specifically and maybe the tumbling is something that appeals to her. Now I can hardly wait to get to the videos and be so proud of her and her abilities. Reminds me so much of how Alisa was at that age but a few years later it was all about the swim team , so who knows where it will go for Emily.In any case thanks for sharing. :)
Love,
G

Anonymous said...

Strong work, Em! So proud of you! Loved that Noah was concerned about you moving off the soft mat. So sweet. But you're a tough gal and I know you'll just get better and better! Maybe you could teach me?! Ha! Xo
Love,
Auntie Pam xo

Piper AndTheKids said...

That is great you were able to find a class in the area she's most interested in :) And, wow, did she do fantastic!!!