Sunday, August 3, 2014

Lessons Learned and A New Chapter

Last night we went to church. They had a fun carnival after ~ Bounce houses, bungee jumping, slides, carnival games, and RAIN. It wasn't pouring, but it was sprinkling pretty good. It wasn't lightening though, so we were good. The kids had a blast. I think the rain just added to the fun for them. Here's Em on the bungee jump thing.


Today is the last day of summer vacation. The kids start school tomorrow. I told the kids we were going to get some cleaning done. I just wanted to start the school year off clean. I was trimming the bushes in the front. David was mowing the backyard, and I had the kids helping me.

Emily was using every excuse in the book. Her allergies were bothering her, she was sweating, blah, blah, blah. Then, I found this video on my phone when she was "going to the bathroom".


I was telling the kids that doing yardwork is a life lesson. You'll have to do this when you get older if you ever want to own your own home. I was trying to tell them to rake the leaves in a pile, so they are easier to pick up. Bring the garbage can to you instead of walking to it 100 times. Work smarter, not harder. Then, they all agreed that they never want to do yard work when they get older. So, I told them, they'll need really good jobs, so they can hire a landscaper. So, that's the lesson they came away with. Whatever.

We came inside and all cleaned up Ben's room. My kids play. Hard. They toys are always everywhere. His room was driving me crazy. We got it all cleaned up and moved on to Noah's. Emily's room is always very clean, but she never goes in there. The point being, we got the house all cleaned up and it feels great.

So tomorrow is a very big day for me. I had Emily in August of 2004 and I took about a month off and went back to work. I had a pack n play in the office and I'd take inventory with my baby girl strapped to my chest. You can do that when your Dad owns the business. In January of 2005, my Dad sold the business. Emily was 4 months old. I've been a stay at home Mom ever since. For almost 10 years, I've been home every day with my kids. Sure, there have been hard days, but for the most part, it's been wonderful. I'll always cherish that I was able to do that and be there for every milestone, for every moment.

My 30's were entirely spent raising my family. Starting tomorrow, Noah is in full day Kindergarten. So from 8:45-3:15, I'll be kid free. I'm thrilled and just a little terrified. My life is completely about to change. I'll have 6.5 hours a day kidless. I'm glad I have a part time job and it'll fill up some of my time. I'm glad that I'll have some free time and I can do what I want. I'm glad I can clean up the house at 8:30 and it will stay clean until almost dinner. I'm ready for the next chapter of my life, where I can focus on me a little bit again.

I'm sure I'll shed a tear tomorrow, but I always do on the first day of school. It's just the passing of time that gets me. Another year older, another year of my kids growing up. Then, I'm coming home and doing whatever the heck I want! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bittersweet, I'm sure. Wish everyone a great first day for me! Can't wait to see all the pics. So what are you going to do tomorrow? Yoga! Love you! Xo
Love,
Pam

Linda said...

I would be so excited to have that time to myself during the day! :D

Emily's little video cracked me up. She is seeming more like a middle-school girl with her funny attitude. Cracks me up, remembering that well and who am I kidding, my girl still has an attitude.

I think it's great that you have the kids help you. I was so bad about that, pretty much always doing everything myself, just like my parents did with us four girls. I don't think I ever even cooked a meal until I was around 30. :O

I hope they have a great school year; I'm sure they will. It rolls around so fast. We still have 2 weeks of summer vacation here and of course it's much different this year - Some of Sarah's college classes begin August 18, some on the 25th, and some not until September/October.

Love to you all,
Linda