Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Man Plans, God Laughs

My best friend Pam's boss use to say that...Man Plans, God Laughs. I always thought it was amusing and true really.

I wrote my last blog post all about my plans for the future. I was looking 6 months out and thinking of all that I can and will do with my life when all three of my kids are in school full time. I wasn't just planning. I was dreaming.

My monthly cycle is very regular. 28 days, give or take 1 or 2. Friday came and went...Saturday...Sunday....Monday....by Tuesday, I was starting to panic. David had a vasectomy right after Noah was born. The first day that I was home from the hospital, I made David that appointment. Then, I took him to the surgery a few weeks later. But, we never took in a follow up sample. How could this be? David looked it up 1 in 2,000 chance. Well, that's a little low for my comfort level. I figured this would be the one time we'd be the lucky 1.

Last night, I was a wreck. I couldn't sleep. I told David for sure it would be here Wednesday morning, 5 days late. The only time I've been 5 days late, I was pregnant. I woke up early this morning. Nothing. I hugged David and started to cry. Not happy tears either. This couldn't be. I don't want to start over with diapers and formula. Neither did David. He said maybe it was twins? Really, not seeing the humor here. I was completely and utterly depressed at the thought. I knew that if we were pregnant, then it was meant to be. It may not have been my plan, but it was Gods. I'd take the next 6 years and share the whipped cream on my frappuccino and put my plans on hold. Even more though, I was worried if I'd live through another pregnancy. Would a baby? The statistics aren't great, and when I read about preeclampsia mixed with HELLP syndrome, it's a miracle that Noah and I walked away unscathed.

Then, I went to the bathroom this evening. I've never been so happy to see blood in all my life.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Wow! That's quite a story. I wasn't sure what the outcome was going to be and then I felt relieved for you in the last paragraph. :)

And at my age, nearly 50, I would love if my periods would stop all together, but they are still like yours - completely normal. My doctor said that I'm nowhere near menopause yet. Somehow I think I'm going to be 80 and still having a period.... ugh....

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Gina, I was wondering what was going on ... no posts for a week. When I saw you were thinking about Eunice a few nights ago, ... now I know maybe why.I hate to say it but now you are in your 40's and you can count on all kinds of weird happenings especially with that cute little body of yours. ;)
Anyway , now you can rest easy at night and get on with your dreams for the future.
Love,
G.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That is scary! You deserve a venti caramel frap, with extra whip, for sure!!! Love you, friend!
Love,
Pam
P.S. - I think someone was getting a little chuckle at your expense. ;)