Monday, March 31, 2014

Innocence and Habits

Emily would kill me if she knew I wrote about this, but this blog is to write about their lives and I feel this is an important part of her life. Emily has been a thumb sucker since she found her thumb at 3 months old. There was a whole production about 4 years ago when Thumbelina, The Thumb Sucking Fiary, came to visit and brought her a gift. She said she'd be back in a month with another gift if Emily stopped sucking her thumb. We used Mavala Stop, which is the nastiest nail polish ever. It worked! Then, two months later, I went in to the hospital to have a premature baby. I was gone from my family for 21 days. Emily started Kindergarten without her Mom here to pack her lunch or fix her hair. Her little world was rocked, and she found comfort in an old friend, her thumb.

We've tried to break the habit over the years, but not seriously enough. I started to notice that Emily's front teeth were bucking out a little. Emily's teeth are very nice otherwise, so I encouraged her to stop. And by encourage, I mean threaten her with a trip to the Orthodontist. We went back to Mavala Stop. We painted her nail every night. She even got to the point that she'd paint her own nail at night. And just like that, she was done.

It's been over 9 years for my girl, but she finally kicked the habit. I'm so proud of her. And, I'm glad she doesn't read my blog all that often and she'll probably not know that I wrote this for years. Then, she'll want to kill me. But, isn't that what mothers are for?

2 comments:

Linda said...

I'm glad you share all of the stories here because it is a great remembrance of the growing-up years. I still of course have all of my old blogs though I'm not sure that Sarah will ever read them. The things that I thought Sarah would remember, she doesn't. Sometimes that's sad. :( But sometimes that's good. :)

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Yeah Emily. Hope nothing comes along to revisit the old thumb in the mouth trick! Keep that Malava in stock... just in case. :)
Love,
G.