Thursday, February 27, 2014

On Being a Kid and Growing Up

Noah has turned into such a funny bright boy. Yes, I had some doubts in the beginning. But, he makes me laugh (and usually scream) every day. About a month ago, he found David's swim cap. This picture always makes me laugh.


This morning, David had to leave for work extra early. Noah woke me up demanding more Ninja Turtles. I got out of bed and turned on his favorite show. I was preparing my coffee and I heard this rumbling from behind the sofa. I turned to make sure it wasn't a bear, and I found Noah ready to head to battle.


I turned in Noah's Kindergarten registration a few weeks ago. I realize that his life is about to change drastically in 6 months. Gone are the lazy mornings of watching Tom & Jerry or Ninja Turtles and demanding coffee while laying under the electric blanket. Sure, he goes to preschool now, but 3 days a week for 2 1/2 hours is pretty much just a play date with some letters, numbers and a snack. He just gets a small taste of reality.

As do I. I try to get as much as I can done in that 2 1/2 hours. I workout, volunteer at the school, do some work, run errands. I only get a small taste of what's to come as well. In August, I'll be kid free. I sometimes think about that time and what I'll do. Emily will be 10 in August. For 10 years, I've stayed home taking care of my kids. I've adapted my life to always include a child. Everywhere I go, they go; to the grocery store, doctor's appointments, the dentist, the vet, the bathroom. For heaven's sake, I've taken a kid with me to get my annual pap smear! It's life, and it's been my life for 10 years. That's all about to change.

I know I will be sad on that first day of Kindergarten. But, part of me thinks I may run out of school doing bell kicks! I've loved being home with my kids. I've loved letting them be kids. To stay in their pajamas all day or dressing up in costumes. To watch TV or play with their toys. To stay in our home and just do what they want and be happy. It's a very short span of their lives and I'm thrilled I got to spend every moment with them. I know one day, I will look back and this will be the time I wish I could go back to. But, we can't live in one moment forever. I'm ready to move on from this chapter and work on me for the first time in 10 years. I'm not sure where I will start...I could tend to the garden, learn how to work my fancy camera beyond the AUTO mode, read a book, sign up for kickboxing or yoga maybe, keep a tidier home, try cooking new meals for my husband.

And it would be nice to get a frappuccino and not have my kid lick all the whipped cream off before I even get a sip.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm sure you will miss having time to yourself, but like when I retired and thought I would have nothing but time on my hands, but the days somehow or other do pass and yes, I feel like I am busy "doing nothing". At times it makes me wish I were still working but other weeks the time just flies by. Of course you are still young and have lots of ideas of ways to fill your time in a much more profitable fashion than I do. Who knows you may even decide to venture out into the world and see what other challenges are there for you to tackle. LOL! BTW you've done a great job in the job you've had for the last 10 years. Imagine what it will be like when the day comes that Noah is off to college or whatever else may be in his future. But then of course we know Emily is never leaving home... so you may not have that empty nest syndrome! Ha!
Love,
G

Linda said...

I love the way you wrote this, it brought me to tears (of course - what doesn't?) I think it will be exciting to see what you fill your time with, I'm glad that you're looking in a forward mindset. Some women I've known, only focus on being a Mom 100% of the time, and there is never any focus on their own dreams. I'm kind of not that way, even though I've always enjoyed being a mom first and foremost, I've always been good about tending to my own needs too, and finding new things to interest me. Of course, that's easier as the time goes by and they're older. I'm only 5 years away from retirement now and that seems incredible that so much time has passed since I started at the University. I'm more than ready to be retired though because I have tons of plans for those future days. ;)
Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Very sweet, Beans. Time sure does fly! You've done so much for your kiddos, and you always will. It'll be nice to have some time for yourself! Drink that frap, my friend! Xo
Love,
Pam