Thursday, January 2, 2014

Food Journal

I'm not one to make New Year's resolutions. Sure, there are things I want to do differently. I can always to better. But, I auto correct as need throughout the year, so I don't feel a big push for self improvement come January 1st.

However, I was reading an article about Carrie Underwood. She said she keeps a food journal. Everything she puts in her mouth, she writes it down. I thought, that's annoying. But, then I stepped on the scale yesterday and noticed that I put on my annual 3 pounds 5 pounds of holiday weight. Now, I know I'm not overweight. I weigh 150ish pounds. I'm 40 years old. I wear a size 8-10. I watch shows like the Biggest Loser and realize, I am at the goal weight for most heavy people. I'm not the tallest person out there and could I still lose 10-20 pounds? Sure! Am I going to do much about it. Probably not. I weigh almost 20 pounds more than before I had kids. If you add up their birth weight, 7.8, 6.13 and 3.12. That's pretty much exactly how much more I weigh. So when I say, I haven't lost the baby weight, I'm not kidding. Somehow, I birthed a human of that weight and yet the weight stayed with me.

I thought I'd keep a food journal yesterday just for kicks. I tried to eat like I normally would as to not skew my reality. Although, I will say that I stopped at 3 Doritos when I probably would have had 7 or 8. See, I was getting a bowl for Ben and a few always naturally fall into my mouth.

In any case, this is what a day of food pretty much looks like for me:


Honestly, I was shocked. When I had to go to tally marks for the Werther's and Rolo's but not for my glasses of water, I knew things weren't very good. I ate one fruit or veggie the entire day. Now, not all days are this bad. Oh, who am I kidding? Yes, they are! Although, we don't typically have a candy bowl out. It's just stocking leftovers. Take away the candy bowl, and I'd go for Chips Ahoy's or Oreos.

I'm going to continue with my food journal for a few weeks and just see. I think it's accountability that you get by writing it all down. The kids read it last night and this morning and all agreed that I eat like crap. If it wasn't for my kids keeping me moving all day, I'd probably weigh at least 50 pounds more. It also made them make some better choices for breakfast. Ben and Emily chose a banana and cereal. Noah, well, he had a Lofthouse Cookie. I wonder where he gets that from?

2 comments:

Linda said...

Good for you!

I never make resolutions; like you, I adjust whenever I feel like it throughout the year, but as for weight - I could easily lose 100 lbs to be back to where I used to be, but I don't normally snack, or eat cookies/sweets, and honestly, I barely eat and still have never lost anything over the past years, I don't think, despite walking 3 miles a day. Of course, I'll be 50 this year, and have at least remained consistent in my weight over the past 10 years, much of which I attribute to when I returned to work full time, sitting on my butt all day when I'm there. I have 5 more years to go until retirement from this year..... I expect things will improve after that time, since when I'm away from work, I barely sit at all.

So, that's my story. I probably won't change anything this year, except give up my column, which I've already decided upon.

Love, Linda

Piper AndTheKids said...

I have the same New's Years resolution every year--keep on breathing ;-) I will either be a complete success or dead (and then I won't care because dead). Works for me ;-)

I periodically track food on myfinesspal. Serves as a good "reset" to get back into good habits :)