Sunday, October 6, 2013

Carlsbad, Day 2

Today was not just an ordinary beach day. I used my first ever bidet and I almost seriously injured Ben. We are lucky he's not in the hospital right now. And you thought this was going to be a boring post with tons of beach pictures. Well, there are plenty of those too.

Let's start the day. We all naturally ended up on the patio. The view can't be beat.
IMG_8480
IMG_8483

The house has a dumbwaiter. It's so cool. We can send heavy things up and down so we don't have to take them up or down the stairs. Today was the cooler full of goodies.
IMG_8484

We made it to the beach and the waves were unreal. We've never seen such waves. It was a little scary at first.
IMG_8490

IMG_8491
IMG_8514
IMG_8520

But as the day went on, the waves got a little calmer. Noah was happy on the shore.
IMG_8495
IMG_8533
IMG_8540
IMG_8545

He liked chasing the seagulls.
IMG_8502
IMG_8505

David took the boys for a walk.
IMG_8523
IMG_8529

Every wave was a good wave, so it was fun to boogie board.
IMG_8546
IMG_8517
IMG_8552
IMG_8555
IMG_8559
The Dad's had to give it a try.
IMG_8564

I'm not kidding when I say there were hundreds of surfers.
IMG_8534
IMG_8541
IMG_8550

This was our set up on shore.
IMG_8538

We headed back to the beach house after about 5 hours. It was a great day. Then, I hit the remote control button to open the small gate that is in front of the driveway. I hit the button and it didn't open, so I hit it again. I had hit it twice. So, it opened about 9 inches and shut. When it opened, Ben started going through and it literally shut on his chest. I had already hit the button for the third time to open it again when we heard him scream. There are 2 gates. We were on one side, he was on the other about 15 feet away. We went running over to him as the gate opened up and released him. He was so scared. It rubbed his skin off the front and back of his chest, and we were so worried he broke a rib or his lung collapsed. Thank God, nothing happened other than some bruises and scrapes. He was freaked out for a good 30 minutes as were we. He'll forever have a fear of getting stuck in a gate now. And I'll forever ask my kids 10 times if they are out of the way before I open or shut a gate.

Now on to other news. This house has a bidet. At almost 40 years old, I've never had a chance to try one. I must say, I'm a fan. My bottom got a soft rear cleanse, a front cleanse and a blow dry. It was like going through a car wash.
IMG_8576

Then, we made dinner and sat on the patio watching the sunset.
Dinner on the patio. Can't beat the view.
IMG_8579
IMG_8580

These girls enjoyed the roof view.
IMG_8585

I feel so blessed that we get to have this great experience with such beautiful scenery. I'm also grateful that Ben is okay. I think about how much worse that could have been and it makes me sick to my stomach.

Tomorrow, will be a new day and I'm hoping not to injure my kids. We found out the other side of the jetty down about 1/8 of a mile has nice mellow waves. So, we are going to hang out there tomorrow.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Wow, well this was certainly an informative post, lol. Seriously though, that's so scary about Ben and the gate! Glad everything is okay!!

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

HI~~AS I READ THE STORY ABOUT BEN, I JUST HELD MY BREATH, N TENSE~~I AM SOOO HAPPY THAT EVERYTHING TURNED OUT OK~~ IT'S A LESSON LEARNED FOR EVERYONE, ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN-BUT BEN IS FINE AND THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING~~SO NOW YA'LL GO ON AND HAVE A FUN AND HAPPY VAKAY~~ UMMMM IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ALREADY ARE~~ALL IS JUST FINE HERE, ROCKO N LUCY--SLEEP EAT PLAY N SLEEP AGAIN~~THEY BOTH EAT ALL THEIR FOOD :) :) TELL DAK N FAMILY~ LOVE YOU, MOM/GRANNY

Anonymous said...

I see others had the same main concern as I did but having talked to Ben in person, I know he is fine and not at all ready to challenge the gate again.Others wise it looks and sounds like all is well and everyone is enjoying the beach. Those surfing waves are something else and I'm sure a little intimidating especially to Noah.Hope the calmer waters works for today's adventures.
Love,
G.