Monday, October 14, 2013

Calgon Moment

We eat dinner every night as a family. The TV is off and it's just us. We have some great conversations at the table.

Tonight, David asked everyone what their favorite part of the day is.

Ben's first response was lunch. Then, he said his favorite time of the day is lovin'.

Lovin' is our nightly ritual. We all get ready for bed and get our teeth brushed. Then, we spent 15-30 minutes lovin' on each other. Which is usually all of us piled in our bed watching some TV. Noah is on David's right side. Then, Emily is on his left in the middle of the bed. Then, Ben. Then, me on the other end. It's always the same order. Sometimes, we sit on the sofa together and read books. We don't do it every night, but maybe 6 out of 7. It's Ben's highlight of the day.

Emily said her favorite part of the day is definitely not the morning. She likes nighttime. Which includes everything from eating dinner to having ice cream for dessert to doing lovin'.

David said his favorite time is our dinners together because we really get to talk to each other.

Noah said his favorite time is the Elmo ride from Sea World. Then, he said his favorite time is when he comes in our room almost every night. I believe he likes that he can come climb up in our bed and snuggle. Then, he said his favorite time is lovin'.

My turn. I said my favorite time of the day is when we tuck the kids in bed, and David and I lay in our cozy bed and get to watch some TV for an hour. No kids. Nobody asking me for anything. It's my Calgon moment. The kids were offended that they weren't part of my favorite time of day. So, I back peddled a little. I told them it's because they are snug in their beds with a full belly and a happy heart. I can relax knowing that they are safe and I can do nothing for an hour.

So, that's our favorite time on the day. What's yours?

4 comments:

Linda said...

I love your traditions - there are some similarities to ours in that I have always made family dinner time important - no television allowed, just like you, and we have it at the same time every evening, 7 days a week. It's been like this for all of Sarah's life. There's times where she's balked a little, because something else might be going on, but I believe that deep down this is a tradition she'll carry with her into adulthood as a favorite. I hope so at least.

My favorite time of the day is any time I'm getting off work and heading home. I never really planned to work outside the home and I've never been a career minded person. I do this only for the money, the benefits, our retirement plan. That's it. My mindset is always on homemaking. So, I'm happiest in my calgon moment, when we're all just home at the house doing our things. We don't have those cuddly moments too much - definitely never with Sarah at nearly-18, but we did have when she was little.

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Love that you have a family dinner time, and that the time is used to talk about the days you've experienced.
As to what my favorite time of day is.. right now it is when someone I love ie my kids call me on the phone. Saturday mornings are mostly the time I hear from David and at night if it gets to be 10 and I haven't heard from Alisa I start to worry and end up usually giving her a call. Those traditions are the ones I hold most dear at this point in my life.
In the meantime I hope your family dinner and lovin' time continues for at least a few more years. A regular bedtime AND procedure I hear is good for children's development. Helps to make them secure and confident about themselves.Good work.♥
Love,
G.

Anonymous said...

AHHH~~SO SWEET~I KNOW EMILY, BEN AND NOAH LOVE THEIR LOVIN TIME. I HAVE SEEN THEM GET VERY EXCITED MANY MANY TIMES AND I WOULD SMILE AND FEEL WARM FUZZYS~ THAT YOUR FAMILY CLOSENESS IS A VERY SPECIAL AND PRECIOUS BLESSING!!! AND THAT MAKES ME HAPPY~~AND MY FAVORITE PART OF THE DAY, IS WHO EVER I AM WITH OR STAYING WITH, IS WHEN EVERYBODY JUST GETS ALONG AND THERE IS NO DRAMA OR STRESS~~AND THAT MY 3 KIDS AND THEIR FAMILIES AND MY 6 GRANDKIDS, AND MY FAMILY ARE ALL SAFE N SOUND~~THEN I AM A HAPPY CAMPER~~ :) :)I LOVE YOU ALL MOM/GRANNY

Piper AndTheKids said...

Nice save :p

My favorite is reading time :) we all snuggle up on the bed or sofa and Sterling and I take turns reading to The Littles :)