Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Mommy, You Came Back!

Yesterday morning, I had to take the kids to school. 80% of the time, David does this and then goes to work. Yesterday, was my turn since he had to go out of town. Noah was still asleep and we had to leave. I told Emily to go wake him up. She wanted to make a video of it like she does about most of her life.


It occurred to me after, that Noah's life just changed forever after that video. It was the end of his wake up whenever you want life as he's known it. Today, he started preschool. It's only M, W, F mornings. But, he's basically going to have to be woken up to go to school/work for the rest of his life or at least the next 60 years. Gosh, life is the pits.

In any case, Noah started preschool today. We thought we were ready and that everything would go fine. He seemed really excited to go and play with his friend Sawyer. I took a few pictures of him this morning. They don't bring a backpack to preschool, but he put one on anyway.

He was all goofy and smiley this morning.
IMG_8271

IMG_8274

Then, we got to preschool.

That's not a happy face.
IMG_8281

We found Sawyer. Whew. He was baking a cake. He was so nice and told Noah to help him bake a cake and it can be Noah's birthday.
IMG_8282

IMG_8283

They were sharing. This is going so well.
IMG_8284

Now, Noah is playing. YES! I'm home free!
IMG_8285

Then, I told Noah that I'd be right back and he can stay and have fun with Sawyer. I was being breezy and quick and not making a big scene.

And, he lost it. "No Mommy, don't go."

Heart. Breaking.

"Please Mommy, please don't leave me."

Knife in heart, turning slowly.

I assured him that he would be fine and I'd be back.

He wasn't having any part of it. He started crying. Not just a few tears. He was bawling.

I knew my being there was making things harder. One of the teacher aides came over to talk to him and I quickly escaped. I was standing outside by the door and I could still hear him crying. Life is truly the pits.

I left and called my husband to cry about Noah crying. Then, I ran around to the library, doctor, 2 grocery stores, CVS, met someone to sell something from Craigslist, Kmart for a return and back to Noah's preschool in 2 hours. The amount of things I can get done when I am childless is staggering.

I arrived 15 minutes early. Exactly as I had planned. They have recess last and it's always one of my favorite things to watch my kids when they don't know I'm there. He sat at the bottom of the ladder for about 5 minutes before he decided to go up.
IMG_8289

I was praying he wouldn't grab the telescope like the kid in the picture and spot me. But, he didn't. He just hung out on the right side of the platform for awhile.
IMG_8295

Then, he didn't go down the slide. He climbed back down the ladder. Okay.

I could hear the teacher tell all the kids to sit down at the table. That's Noah, the one kid still standing up. I heard the teacher from the parking lot. I'm sure he heard her. He finally sat down. I don't think he knew where to sit. He was just feeling everything out. Finding his place.
IMG_8299

They went inside for storytime. I came in and talked to the teacher. She said he did great and he only cried for a few minutes. That's a relief. She told me I could go sit with them and listen to the story. Noah was sitting in the very back of the group. I sat down next to him. He looked over and saw me. His eyes lit up and he smiled, "Mommy, you came back!"

Of course, I came back. Then, we listened to a story about a dinosaur and left.

We got to the car and I was asking him all about his day. He told me they had crackers and polka dots for snack. He said he didn't like the polka dots, but the other kids did. I found out later the polka dots were raisins. I told him when he cried, he broke my heart. He said, "I sorry Mommy. Do you need a bandaid?" and put his little hand on my chest. Oh my gosh, I love this kid.

He said he had a fun day. Is he ready to go on Friday? I'm not sure. But, it's David's turn to take him. I'll pack him some band aids, just in case.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Awww, this is precious, so well written, and it breaks my heart. :(

Something funny as a contrast, and an example of how different people are... the only experience I had with anything before Kindergarten was daycare (before school/after school pickup in the first year when we were working out work schedules) and Sunday School (from infancy to age 4).... when I used to return to the classroom to get her, Sarah was mad that I was there and said "Awww, Mom - why are you here so early?!!!" because she was having fun playing with her friends.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.;)

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

So cute! Glad to hear you both survived - with just minimal emotional scarring. Cute shirt, too! ;) hugs to all!
Love,
Pam

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing the pics and story of Noah's 1st day and your last first day of sending a child off to school. I'm sure it was tough emotionally especially when he started to cry and beg you not to leave. But you were smart that you had planned things for you to do during the next few hours. If you hadn't you'd probably have gone back even sooner just to make sure he was OK. I think he was very brave considering it was probably the 1st time in his whole life that he was left in an unfamiliar environment with no one who he was very familiar with. It sounds like he was very brave and so appreciative of his Mommy. Anyway glad it all worked out and will probably be a lot less emotional on Friday when his Dad drops him off. Hopefully no need for band aids! ☺
Love,
G.

Anonymous said...

GINA~~AHHH, THAT STORY BROKE MY HEART, TOO~~LOVED EMILY'S VIDEO~SHE DOES SUCH A GOOD JOB, EVEN SHOWING THE TIME ON THE CLOCK, SHE'S VERY DETAILED~ :) N NOAH LOOKS SOOO CUTE ON HIS 1ST DAY OF PRESCHOOL~~I JUST LOVE YOUR 3 KIDS~~MOM/GRANNY ps mommy u came back~love that line :)

Piper AndTheKids said...

He is so sweet :)

This is B's second year of preschool and his first week was rough--not because he was upset at leaving me but because he was upset that his classroom was different and he goes in the afternoon instead of the morning LOL Poor kid had things all set in his mind and we went and changed it......

I hope Noah adjusts quickly and continues to have fun :D