Saturday, September 21, 2013

Evolution as a Mother

As a Mom, I feel I've come around over the years. With Emily, she wore adorable outfits that were seasonally and weather appropriate. We saved her "good shoes" for special occasions. Then when those occasions came, we found out she had outgrown the good shoes, and they went in the outgrown bin unworn.

With Ben, I was a lot more relaxed. First, he is a boy. The super cute dresses or shoes don't exist. But, he did wear a superhero costume everyday for about 4 years. And I let him. Even in February when people would look at him and wonder if he just came from a costume party. I might have said to a stranger or two, "he's in a dress up phase". And not one gave me that judging eye. They all usually just said they had a kid who went through the same thing. He did wear regular clothes to school everyday.

I lay out the clothes for all three kids on the dining room table the night before school. I figure it makes the morning a little easier. Noah isn't really used to this routine yet, since he only has 8 days of school under his belt. Yesterday morning, he went in his room and got dressed for preschool. We were thrilled that he was excited enough to get dressed as some days he's complaining he doesn't want to go, and I have to peel his pajamas off him.

He comes in my bathroom to show me his masterpiece. It's certainly not an outfit I would pick out. It's a Christmas shirt...in September. It's long sleeve (well, 3/4 since it's too small), and it's still in hot outside. It doesn't match the plaid shorts. And, he wasn't wearing underwear. He was very proud of himself. During my Emily period, I would've said, "Oh, you can't wear that." After a screaming match (which of course I'd win), I would've changed her into a seasonally appropriate, weather appropriate and matching outfit...with underwear.

For Noah, I told him he did a great job getting dressed. No screaming, no tears, just praise. I did have him put on underwear. But, other than that, he was dressed, happy and excited for preschool. And for that, I thought he looked fantastic.
IMG_5891
Maybe I've just become too tired and lazy as a parent over the years to care what he wears. I like to think that I've evolved into a better Mom. Yeah, let's go with that....

And on a side note, when I picked Noah up from preschool, he grabbed from his bin this little one inch by one inch picture magnet of Emily that he had brought to school. He noticed a few of them on the file cabinet the other day at home. David took him to school and had no idea he even brought it in school with him. Maybe it was in his pocket. I asked him why he brought that picture of Emily with him to school. It wasn't show and tell day. He said, "because I wanted to have her with me". My heart melted. Maybe as a Mom, I am doing a few things right.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Yep, you're an awesome Mom!!!! :)

Sarah had a Hello Kitty shirt that I've probably mentioned before, but she wore that shirt nearly every single day to school and elsewhere, until it was a belly shirt and I stressed so much over that at the time, because I pretty always let her wear what she wanted, and didn't want to stifle her creativity, but still..... oh that shirt. I remember even talked to seasoned Moms at work about it, ones with grown children, and they told me not to stress the small stuff. Good advice. By the way, I saved that shirt amongst her favorite clothing items. It's in one of the many boxes of things that I've saved for her. ;)

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Love it. Not only does he dress himself, he even seems like he's so proud of himself and is all set for school. That's a good thing right? I love the fact that he wanted to take Emily to school with him. So cute. ☼
Hope this upcoming week is a good one.
Love,
G.

Anonymous said...

AHHH~~THAT'S OUR NOAH, CHRISTMAS IN SEPTEMBER~~I LAUGHED AND SMILED AT THIS STORY, BECAUSE I KNOW HIM PRETTY WELL~~TOUCHING STORY N GIGI YOU TOTALLY DID THE RIGHT THING BY LETTING HIM WEAR THE CLOTHES HE PICKED OUT HIMSELF~~EVERYTHING IN LIFE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT~~AND BY THE WAY NOAH LOOKED ADORABLE IN THE OUTFIT~~NOAH IS CLOSE TO EMILY AND BEN, NOAH, IN HIS HEART HAS A SOFT, BUT YET STRONG HEART WITH LOTS OF LOVE DEEP WITHIN, FOR HIS FAMILY, AND EMILY AND BEN ARE THE VERY SAME WAY~GINA YOU AND DAVID HAVE RAISED YOUR 3 CHILDREN WITH GOOD WELL MANNERED AND VERY LOVING AND CARING VALUES, GOOD NATURED VERY KIND SWEET KIDS THAT HAVE RESPECT FOR OTHER PEOPLE~~SO TA TA I GIVE ALL THAT CREDIT TO GINA N DAVID ON RAISING 3 BEAUTIFUL HEARTS WITH CHRISTIAN VALUES~~THANK YOU AND GOD'S BLESSINGS BE WITH YOU ALL EACH AND EVERYDAY~~ MY LOVE MOM/GRANNY