Thursday, July 18, 2013

Vacation, Day 7 Part 2 (the day from hell)

I think the Amtrak train is like childbirth. Once you get over the initial shock and get a good nights rest, a good meal, some coffee and a couple Excedrin, it almost seems like a good idea.

Let me back up....our train was supposed to leave at 11:50 at night. I figured we'd get settle by 12:30 and get 5-6 hours of sleep. We'd be okay. That didn't happen. Our train was over 2 1/2 hours late. Apparently, that's very common. We decided to try to get a few hours of sleep before we even left. The kids slept. David and I really didn't, maybe 30 minutes. My Dad and Suzy woke up at 12:15 and drove us there. I kept checking the status on the way there and it kept getting later and later. By the time we got there, we had to wait an hour for the train to arrive. The station that we went to in Sandpoint, Idaho looked like an abandoned haunted building. It's permanently closed. Nobody even works there. You just stand on a platform. They stop, you load and they go.

At 2 in the morning, we were all pretty tired.
Untitled
We finally got on and the conductor tells us to go in this particular lower level car. The lower level is usually reserved for people who can't climb the stairs to the top level. The top level was full though. We got in the train and Emily and Ben were so excited to be on the train, they couldn't sleep. Noah was out as soon as the train started moving. It's pretty comfortable and the seats recline and stuff, but David and I just couldn't sleep. At some point David laid on the ground I think where a wheelchair may normally go. We stopped at 4:00 in the morning in Spokane and a lot of people got off and lots were waiting to get on. A conductor came in our car and said, "Party of 5, I need to move you." Ben had just fallen asleep. We gather up some of our stuff (purse, laptop, camera, she told us to leave the bigger luggage) and we go outside and to another car that has an upper level.

Let me just insert a comment about how shocked I am about the lack of security on a train. No scanners, nobody looking through a bag. Absolutely nothing. People walking on and off with tons of bags and nothing. Just shocking really. But, I guess it's safe.

I digress...The sunrise was gorgeous. In Spokane (when they woke us up to move cars), the back of the train got detached and headed to Portland. We went on to Seattle. So, we ended up being in the last car. I was able to get a great picture of the sunrise.
Sunrise somewhere in Washington.
I was surprised at the diverse landscape in Washington. I thought the whole state would be green. It wasn't. At first, it looked a lot like Arizona.
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

It slowly got greener as we headed west.
Untitled

We went through an almost 8 mile tunnel. When we got through, it was like a rainforest.
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Emily and Ben finally fell asleep around 9. Noah woke up at 7. David and I never slept.
Untitled

Then, we got to the coast.
Untitled

We finally arrived at the train station. It was a far cry from the haunted platform we left from.
Untitled

At some point, we tried on mustaches as we all needed a laugh.
Untitled

Untitled

Emily wouldn't try hers on because the people behind us were watching (laughing) at us.

Luckily, we arrived in Seattle only an hour late. We had enough time to grab lunch and get back to the Amtrak station to take a bus to Vancouver. Here are the kids waiting for the bus. They are in front of Century Link field. Pretty impressive football field.
IMG_7191

The bus ride was uneventful. The kids slept the whole way. Well, all but Noah who had energy to spare and kept David and I from getting any rest. The bus dropped us off in front of a hotel. So, that's where I booked a room for the night knowing we would be done. And we were. The kids still had energy to head to the pool.
IMG_7194

They had a huge waterslide.
IMG_7196

IMG_7197

IMG_7203

IMG_7206

IMG_7209

Emily convinced Noah to go down the slide.
IMG_7214

David and I were just done by 8:00. We were beyond tired. We fell asleep, Noah was asleep and I told Emily and Ben to turn off the TV by 9:30.

Long travel days are always hard. They are even harder with 3 small children. They almost kill you when you have no sleep on top of all that. We are happy it's over, kind of like childbirth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

GINA, OK, READING ALL OF THIS, I AM NOW TOTALLY EXHAUSTED~LOL~~~BEAUTIFUL SCENERY PICS~~I AM HAPPY YOU ALL FINALLY GOT SOME REST~~LOVE TO ALL,MOM/ GRANNY

Anonymous said...

At last! Feet on solid ground and on the exact opposite side of the country from where you werethis time last year. Hope the experience is worth all your efforts.
Love.
G.

Linda said...

The photos are wonderful, the views are surreal, but yes, the travel sounds horrible. I'm afraid, even on my own, I couldn't handle that part, so good for all of you!! :)

Glad you're settled at your destination now. ♥

Love, Linda

Piper AndTheKids said...

Emily looks so thrilled to be coming down that water slide :)