Sunday, July 21, 2013

Vacation, Day 11

Today we went to a little area called Davis Bay about 30 minutes away. They were having a sand sculpture contest during low tide.

We saw some deer crossing the road along the way.
IMG_7501

Here are the people hard at work. They only had 3 hours.
IMG_7504

The kids loved the low tide. We had hundreds of feet of sand and little pools of water. Ben ran. Noah copied Ben. Emily did gymnastics.
IMG_7506

IMG_7509

IMG_7512

IMG_7515

I realized only too late that in those little pools were tons of little (and some big) crabs. They were everywhere. I was trapped on the opposite side and had to cross through again to get back. I was so scared. They didn't bite anybody or anything, but it just grossed me out. I don't like crabs.
IMG_7516

Here are some of the sand castle entries. Impressive what they can do in 3 hours!
IMG_7519

IMG_7521

IMG_7525

IMG_7527

IMG_7528

IMG_7529

It inspired the kids to create their own art.
IMG_7536

Noah made a tree.
IMG_7540

Emily made a turtle.
IMG_7541

Ben made a mountain.
IMG_7542

Even Aunt Paula got in on the action and wrote the kids' names.
IMG_7543

Then, it was time for more playing on the beach.
IMG_7545

IMG_7546

IMG_7548

IMG_7550

IMG_7551

IMG_7553

The tide started coming in and it was crazy. The water level got so high so quick. Where David and Noah are was like ankle high when we got there.
IMG_7555

We went to a little festival they had in a park area by the beach. They were giving away free otter pops.
IMG_7558

They had a bunch of stilts out and a guy helping people learn. Ben gave it a try first.
IMG_7561

Noah tried it.
IMG_7568

David and I figured it out.
IMG_7574

IMG_7576

IMG_7595

Emily was obsessed. The more she tried and couldn't do it, the more she kept doing it. That girl is determined and stubborn. I don't know where she gets that. We are going to have to find her a pair of stilts for Christmas or something.
IMG_7580

Ben got his face painted like Donatello the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle.
IMG_7583

Then, Noah HAD to get his done too. He got Leonardo.
IMG_7584

IMG_7593

This was a pretty view on our way home.
IMG_7599

Uncle Terry and Noah went on a hunt for sticks as we are having a bonfire tonight on the beach. They found the sticks and sharpened them. Noah is his little shadow.
IMG_7601

We headed down to the beach at 6:30 since the high tide was over and we had room on the beach for our bonfire. Ben played on his favorite branch. The water was super high. I love watching the high and low tides.
IMG_7614

The kids playing on their branch.
IMG_7617

Uncle Terry asked us to gather wood. We all got a few sticks, but cousin Amy is a pro.
IMG_7616

Noah helping Uncle Terry start the fire.
IMG_7619

Forget paddleboarding when you can find a piece of wood like this.
IMG_7623

IMG_7625

Then, they sent them out to sea.
IMG_7627

We roasted hot dogs. My kids had never done this before, so that was an experience.
IMG_7630

I think they liked it.
IMG_7632

IMG_7634

Then, we had smores.
IMG_7640

David took a dip in the ocean.
IMG_7642

We watched the full moon rising.
IMG_7648

We had a ton of fun today. We are headed in to Vancouver tomorrow for a day in the city. Fun!

5 comments:

Linda said...

Again, more wonderful photos!!! :) Thanks for sharing so faithfully while you're away.

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

....and isn't it wonderful that they have the late evenings before it gets dark? I love all the things you guys are doing and that as Linda said you managed to keep up your posts everyday. I see that I am not the only one enjoying the updates as Sharon has been keeping an eye on things too. Vancouver should be a fun day as well. It is one of the most photogenic cities in Canada, I think. So will be expecting the final update from there for my viewing pleasure tomorrow. I am so glad you've had such a great vacation , first at your Dad and Suzy's with so much water and beach fun and then at Terry and Paula's with more of the same with a different point of view. Your hike up to the Knob will long be remembered, I'm sure.Enjoy your final full day of Canada and having fun at Paula and Terry's resort. :)
Love,
G

Anonymous said...

HI GWYNNE PAM LINDA~~WE HAVE ALL ENJOYED SOME BEAUTIFUL PIC'S OF FAMILY AND THE SCENERY~~GINA YOU DID AN AMAZING JOB HONEY~~THE ONLY THING THAT I AM GOING TO SAY TODAY IS,"GINA SAID, NOW EMILY MADE A TURTLE OUT OF SAND, N BEN MADE A MOUNTAIN OUT OF SAND-(VERY GOOD JOB EM N BEN) AND THEN IT WAS NOAH'S TURN AND NOAH MADE A TREE~~WELL THAT WAS SOOO CUTE I BURST OUT LAUGHING~~VERY CLEAVER THE GREEN LEAF~~ :) :) ENJOY THE REST OF UR TRIP~~LOVE U ALL, MOM

Anonymous said...

GWYNNE~~I SEE WHO ARE THE EARLY BIRDS~~HMMM LINDA'S POST 5:24 AM, GWYNNE'S POST 8:17 AM SHARON'S POST 1:40 PM~~~BUT I GOT UP AT 8:00 THIS MORNIN~~WELL I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A NIGHT OWL~~ :)

Anonymous said...

Sharon, glad to see We fooled you a bit. Actually it was 11:17 as we are 3 hours ahead of you.... I was going to tease you a little more by telling you I had already been out done my shopping etc ... but figured that would really cloud the issue. Actually you were up before me as I only got up at 8:30 but I really did get out to the store early this morning before I checked Gina's blog. I am glad they are having such a good time. I'M SURE YOU WILL BE HAPPY TO SEE THEM ALL IN PERSON TOMORROW NIGHT. Hope all is well with you. :*