Friday, April 26, 2013

A Pirate and An Artist

Ben's 1st grade teacher is awesome. I think with the end of school approaching the kids are ready to kick back, goof off and sail to 2nd grade. His teacher is trying to keep it fun and educational. This week was pirate week. They had treasure maps one day and had to learn directions, etc. Today the got to dress up like pirates. Ben was excited of course. He wanted to wear his eye patch since he has to wear it 4-5 hours a day anyway, but I thought a flesh colored bandaid over his eye would be boring. So, I colored it. I also cut some jagged edges in an old pair of pajama pants. It wasn't the most creative, but it works. He didn't want to wear the beads we had because they were too girly he said. Little does he know that pirates are always a little feminine, but I let him skip the beads. I think he looks great.
 photo IMG_5734_zpsf7c9e607.jpg
 photo IMG_5735_zps61721eae.jpg

Last week, they were artists. They learned about a different artist each day. In the morning, they wrote a narrative about what they learned from a slide show and some paintings the teacher showed them. In the afternoon, they did a drawing to represent each artist. On Friday, they brought home all of the work they did in a little binder.

Monday was Henri Matisse. I love his story about him.
 photo IMG_0009_zps05a7afc1.jpg
 photo IMG_0010_zps26113441.jpg
Tuesday was Claude Monet. Ben's water lillies are awesome!
 photo IMG_0001_zps7e4a80c9.jpg
 photo IMG_zps0342fd09.jpg
Wednesday was Georgia O'Keeffe. I love his flower!
 photo IMG_0004_zpsecc2aa26.jpg
 photo IMG_0003_zps00d45d27.jpg
Thursday was Pablo Picasso. Ben said he painted his green because green is glad.
 photo IMG_0005_zps0d73905b.jpg
 photo IMG_0006_zpseb346914.jpg
Friday was Jackson Pollock. I love Ben's picture which he titled DNA.
 photo IMG_0008_zps86b8c18d.jpg
 photo IMG_0007_zps812eb0a9.jpg
For some reason when I scanned it in the colors were muted. It didn't pick up the neon pink, so I took another picture with my phone.
Untitled

Isn't that awesome! We are so proud of how well he did. I told him that he could be a famous artist one day and kids would learn all about him. He liked that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina, This IS great Ben does so well both with his sentences and his pictures . I love the green (happy) Ben picture. I am sure you will be keeping all of them but the last one is also very good both in the colored and not so colorful editions.The waterlilies are fabulous as well. OK they are all great. Tell him we love his work. ( and him too of course)
Thanks for sharing some of his adventures.
Have a great weekend.☼
Love,
G.

Linda said...

I'm so very impressed by all of this!!! First of all, what a great kid! Impressive drawings and writings. Second of all, what a great teacher!! Love these kinds of hands-on-learning lessons; to me, it's the best!

Now, back to Prom Saturday here... only a couple of hours to go for picture time.

Love,
Linda