Friday, January 25, 2013

First Love

I write posts for many reasons, but mostly because I want my kids to be able to look back one day and relive their childhood. I want them to read all these experience and feel how much I love them.

And that's what this post is about. Feeling love.

I was helping in Ben's class yesterday. I was standing across the room swapping out their books in a bag. Ben's seat is across the room and his back is to me. I'm working away and I stop for a moment. I can feel him staring at me.

I look up and our eyes meet. He holds my gaze. I give him a small smile and he smiles back. He then turned around and kept working. It was a tiny moment, only a few seconds really. But I could feel how much he loves me.

Later that night, I asked Ben about that moment and what he was thinking. After a little blushing, he said he thought I was pretty and he loves me. How sweet is that?

Ben's first love is me, his Mom. And Emily's is her Daddy. Still at 9 years old, she thinks the sun rises and sets with her Dad. We are their first loves and I think that's exactly how it should be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet wonderful post...It was simple and right to the point, loved it!

Michele from Florida

Linda said...

I did all those things too while Sarah was growing up and wrote everything down and recorded in other ways (not on a blog so much because blogging came along when she was much older), but like you, I'm glad I did that.

Now here, the days of childhood are long ago. We're looking towards different times. I'm not sure that Sarah ever looked at me the way you wrote about Ben looking at you, because she just has never been like that much, and sadly, she doesn't seem to remember most of all I did for her when she was little. Seems like her memory begins around 10 years old or so... but I'm still glad I did it all. Last night, while I was organizing, I ran out to where Sarah was working on an Honors Bio project at the kitchen table and showed her funny pictures and cards she made for me or for Jim when she was little, and that's when we reminisced about those days and that's when it all seemed to be very worth while, that I saved all of that.

That being written, I enjoyed your post of course very much because it reminds me of the very different place in life we're at right now and yet of all the joys still to come.
Love,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Ha, no doubt about the fact that Ben loves his Mom! And ditto about Emily and her Daddy. I'm guessing Noah shares his love equally ! I think your kids are so lucky that you have chosen to write so many of the stories of their younger years. 20 or 30 years from now they'll be clambering for the look back at "The Good Old Days"...
Love,
G.