Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmas Eve

We go to my Dad and Suzy's house in Phoenix every year for Christmas Eve. We love getting together with all of our family. The kids love that and all the presents.
Photobucket
Suzy let them open one each when they got there. It's like torture making them wait for 6 hours.
Photobucket
Photobucket
We all sat down to a delicious lasanga dinner that Suzy made. And in walked my big surprise. Let me rewinde about 40 years.

In 1972, my parents bought a house on Paradise Drive. We had great neighbors. Our neighbors next door, the Oakes, were like family. I spent most of my days with their youngest daughter Liz. She was a sister to me. Their family moved away in the late 80's. In any case, Liz got hit by a car and died in 1991. We saw all of the Oakes at Liz's funeral and it's been 21 years since we've seen them. We can say lots of negative things about the internet, but in this case, it helped rejoin a "family". Through Facebook, I've been in touch with one of the daughters Katie. Her family and her Dad came by my Dad's house for a visit.

My Dad was surprised to say the least.
Photobucket
Here's Katie.
Photobucket
And Dave and my sister.
Photobucket
Here's our whole group.
Photobucket
It was a great day to reconnect with loved ones, and I feel so very blessed to be in this family.

After dinner, we played some games. The boys were happy to sit with my Dad.
Photobucket
The kids got tons of gifts. Way too much as always. We drove back home and got ready for Santa.

The kids left out Oreos and carrots for each reindeer.
Photobucket
Ben's note:
Photobucket
Emily's note:
Photobucket
We were all set. The kids went to sleep while visions of sugar plums danced in their heads...

1 comment:

Linda said...

This is so great!!! You made me think of my beloved neighbors from the old neighborhood. They're all gone now (deceased) except for Betty next door and we keep in touch via cards because she doesn't do the internet. But I know what you mean - I've made so many wonderful connections (reconnections) via Facebook and online that it's crazy good.

Loved seeing your photos.
Love, Linda