Friday, May 27, 2011

Schools Out For Summer

It's the first day of summer vacation. I've been having bittersweet feelings about this break. I was worried that I would spend my days yelling at the kids. But, I've decided to take a different approach. Yell less, play more. Say no less, say yes more. Clean less (if that's possible), make more messes. Good idea, eh?

They spent the afternoon in Ben's room. It's a mess. I'll clean it on August 8th. Then, they found all the remote control cars from Christmas 2008 whose batteries have been dead since January 2009. 17 AA batteries later, we were playing in the backyard and drinking some lemonade.

Just a word of caution, do not, I repeat do not, let Green Lantern drive the Jeep Rubicon.

And always wear your seat belt.

I think this is going to be a fun summer. I'm very optimistic. But, it's only day 1.

2 comments:

Linda said...

You're cracking me up - love the pictures and the little story. :) Yes, I can imagine how different your summer days will be from mine - where I only have 1 of my own to deal with full-time and a house full of teens at any given moment. The other morning, when Maddi spent the night, she called me from school frantically needing her zip drive for her Speech class final and I thought she said "note cards" as in index cards (I'm thinking about MY speech class some 30 years ago, lol). I just ended up grabbing all of her stuff that was here and rushing over to the office where the office ladies joked that I was everyone's Mom. :)

I hope you have a wonderful summer -and that you enjoy the days just as you wrote - I'm soooooo relieved that the first year of high school is done here and that we survived okay. ;)

Anonymous said...

Ha! Sounds like you may be grey before August 8th rolls around.:)Of course the kids will have a ball. A summer to remember for sure. The only ingredient that was missing in your laid back day was little Noah. He must have been somewhere else causing even more commotion than an overturned jeep!
Hope your resolutions continue at least for a day or two. :)☼
Love,
G.