Thursday, March 3, 2011

Leaps And Bounds

When we moved to this house, Emily was 3 and Ben was 18 months. About a year later, we started doing a growth chart in our bathroom on the door frame. I choose the door frame because if we ever move, I can take it with me and replace the frame. At first I was just randomly measuring the kids a few times a year. Then, I decided to start doing it on their birthdays. With Ben in February and Emily and Noah in August, it ensures each kid gets measured twice a year. And it just so happens that it's exactly 6 months apart, so we record the whole and half age for every year.

When Ben turned 5 two weeks ago, Noah got his first measurement at 18 months.


I measured Emily and Ben too. I was surprised that Ben wasn't taller than Emily was at 5. Then in the past 2 weeks, he looked like he suddenly grew. His pants seem too short and I can see his socks. So, I decided to measure him today, just two weeks after his fifth birthday. He is the little black line above "Emily 5".

He grew over an inch in 2 weeks.
And he gained a pound and is at 39 pounds.
He may just break 40 by his sixth birthday!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Love the door frame thing. Jim started doing that with Sarah many years back inside the front closet door. Haven't done it for a little big, but every once in a while he will measure her. She's still a shortie, though we can see eye to eye now. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey that is great. Ben will be a whole lot bigger and different looking when I see him next month.Noah is looking pretty pleased with himself in this picture. I see his marking on the frame but he looks a lot shorter than where his mark is located. Is that cause he's not standing up straight?
Happy measuring.☼
Love,
G.