Saturday, March 5, 2011

Seeing Clearly

When I was five years old, I needed to get my tonsils out. Back then, it was an overnight stay in the hospital. I remember being scared. My Dad, who desperately needed to get his tonsils out also, said he would get his out with me. I felt so much better knowing that we would both be going through it together.

The morning of the surgery, I was prepared and ready to go. My Dad was not. I thought he would get ready after they took me back. I woke up sharing a room with a 9 year old boy who just had his appendix out. My Dad chickened out on me. I still tease him about it to this day.

Ben was very apprehensive about going to the eye Doctor. He asked if it would hurt and he thought it would be scary. I tried to reassure him, but he was still scared.

I had Lasik surgery on my eyes about 13 years ago. But the eyes will age as the eyes will age and I've noticed over the past few years that my eyes are...well, aging. At Emily's Christmas concert, I was watching the performance through the camcorder as I could see her face better through the zoom lens. We were only in the tenth row. Driving home from Phoenix a few months ago at night, I was happy that David was driving as I couldn't see great on the dark highway. I knew at some point I would need to get my eyes checked and get glasses for the few occasions where I might want crystal clear vision.

Ben's eye doctor apprehension presented the perfect opportunity for me to pony up and get my eyes checked. Ben came in the room with me and saw everything. I think he was reassured that nothing scary would happen at his appointment. My vision was 20/30, not terribly bad but enough to get the glasses that I needed.

I took one for Ben. Although, I'm just now realizing that the relevance of an eye exam and a tonsillectomy is hardly comparable.

In any case, my glasses came in yesterday and I love them.

And I'm absolutely shocked how much of the world I've been missing.

5 comments:

pam said...

You look great, friend! Enjoy the view!

Dea said...

Hospital... not nice place... huhuhu
I scared to go there... hihihi... till now

Linda said...

Very nice!

We're only allowed glasses every 2 years on our plan and I'm still just with reading glasses and am virtually almost blind without them anymore. Can't even see the computer screen without using them. I also notice that when I switch back and forth between readers and not, my vision is often blurred and sometimes it remains like that all day. I'm really really bad about ever going to the doctor, but good for you! The glasses look cute and glad you can see. :)

Anonymous said...

Very Cute! David told me he loves looking through your new glasses. Looks like he might be next in line for a check up as well.Things are looking good!☼
Love,
G.

Anonymous said...

You look so cute. Yep, I'm way past due. Just have reading glasses (OTC)and wear your dad's old ones to watch tv. Unbelievable what I can see...which reminds me, please take yours off when I visit. I can hear you now, "OMG! I didn't know you were getting so old!" :o) Just saw my little spidyman in his. Your title to you blog was great! Just tell him he has x-ray vision and can see things we can't which is true! He will feel special. Luv ya Suzy