Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pinching Pennies In January

It's time for my monthly report on our grocery budget and coupon savings. I went a little over my $10 per day goal. I spent $394 and saved $460. But let me tell you, I got stocked up on lots of things when there were great sales. I could literally stop shopping for a month, except produce and perishables, and we would be just fine.

But I can't stop shopping. I've become somewhat of an addict. TLC is not going to call me anytime soon for their extreme couponing show, but I have thought about going through my neighbors recycle bins looking for coupon inserts. Can you see me on Thursday nights dressed in black with a headlamp on while it's 15 degrees out digging through recycle bins? Yeah, me neither. I'm not that desperate. Besides, I think I'm doing rather well on just my one newspaper every Sunday. But hey Pam (my BFF) since you are coming up next weekend, bring me some of your coupons! "Hi, I'm Gina and I'm an addict. I've been on a coupon high for over three months. And I'm only sober when I'm sleeping".

Here is today's little trip to the store. The kids have a cold, so it was fast. I went in for a jalapeno for chili tonight. But, I couldn't pass up the good stuff.

Let me just point out the super savings...
Mouthwash...free
2 Coffeemate...free
2 Kraft cheese...free
Bounty paper towels...free
Softsoap...free
2 Cream cheese...free
4 Butterfinger snackerz...free
(saving for Valentines for the kids - have you tried these? YUM...soooo good!)
Skippy peanut butter...free
Colgate toothpaste...free
4 Reach toothbrushes...free
Dove deodorant...free
2 Axe deodorants...25 cents each
Scotch tape...free
Butter...free

Seriously, do you see why I can't stop going to the store? And couponing has completely improved my oral hygiene. Toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss and mouthwash are always free, so I'm changing my toothbrush when I should, flossing when I don't even have something stuck in my teeth and using mouthwash. My dentist would be thrilled.

I spent $15 on all the stuff in the picture and saved $87. The big container of meat is for some yummy sloppy joes we are making for a super bowl party. And no, it wasn't in the manager's reduced section of outdated meat. Don't sloppy joes sound good and easy? Make it, put it in the crock pot on warm and we are off to enjoy the
company and foodgame. Who am I kidding...I don't even know whose playing.

Back to couponing, I was sober there for like 23 seconds.

The customer in front of me today at Fry's spent $98 for about 8 bags of groceries. I wanted to smack her. I used to be her. Why give your hard earned money away? If you live in Arizona, look at bargain believer. In addition to her regular Fry's match ups, she is now doing a section for people who don't get the paper. There are still mad savings to be had just from online coupons and coupons you load to your Fry's card. Getting the paper sure helps though. A lot. And if you are brave enough to go through your neighbors recycle bin, you're golden.

I am putting money in our savings account for the first time since I stopped working 6 years ago. And you can too. One hit and you'll be hooked, just try it.
Trust me...it'll make you feel good.

4 comments:

Linda said...

It is impressive, but I don't know how you do it. I've been very unsuccessful thus far - none of the coupons apply to anything I buy, the clerks scrutinize every coupon that I do manage to find, we don't get flyers of coupons, and as it stands it took me over an hour to grocery shop this past past weekend and we spent $160 for our two-weeks of grocery and that doesn't include all of the HBA stuff from Walmart which runs A LOT because Sarah uses expensive stuff!

So... I don't know, I think it's great that you do this, and I'll keep trying, but not so sure that I have the patience for it. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gina for the info. on Bargain Believer. Last week I stocked my pantry and my total was $200.00 and I paid $57.00. I was amazed. I did spend about two hours on the computer and about an hour and 1/2 shopping. Well worth my time. How do you get all the free stuff? Do you double coupons on those products?

Anonymous said...

That last post was from me. I forgot to put my name.
Diana

Anonymous said...

Ok so on the sloppy joe note. I have my 2 yr olda sandwich and she left the bread. Not wanting to waste the 8 little squares of bread she left I put a bit of cheese on each piece, toasted it and put a dab of leftover sloppy joe on top. The kids loved it!