Monday, March 1, 2010

Unconscious Acts Of Appreciation

A lot of the time I feel like every Mom feels, overworked and under appreciated. I know my kids and husband love me and appreciate me, but sometimes we all need a reminder.

This was David and I on our weddingmoon, 10 glorious days in St Lucia. There was lots of time for hand holding. Now a days, our hands are filled with little hands. About a month ago, I was returning to bed after feeding Noah and David rolled over and reached for my hand. I thought I have baby spit up on my shoulder and it's 2 AM, he wants some action right now? Then, I heard him softly breathing and I realized he just wanted my hand. It made me smile. I mentioned it to him the next morning and he didn't remember it, which made it even more special.

Ben wanted to sleep with me this weekend. He said he needed to "love on me". I love sleeping with Ben. He won't fall asleep unless we are holding hands. In the middle of the night he always rolls over and drapes his arm around my neck. The other night, he reached for my hand in his sleep and when I took his, I realized he also had Batman in his hand. I had to smile. We were holding hands with Batman in the middle.

Last night I stayed up after everyone had gone to sleep. A little time to myself to watch Desperate Housewives undisturbed. I heard Emily coughing. She is feeling better finally, but the constant heat in the house dries out all of our throats. I walked in her room to give her a sip of cold water. She was coughing in her sleep. She took a few sips and I went to cover her up. She immediately held both arms up and wanted a hug. I hugged her, gave her a kiss on the forehead and covered her up.

As I walked down the hallway, I couldn't help but smile...

And feel appreciated.

4 comments:

Linda said...

This is so very touching and it's making me cry. I don't really feel needed or appreciated anymore by anyone at home or work and it's a lost sort of feeling. :(

Anonymous said...

Great that you are able to note those small tokens of love and to be able to accept them for what they are : signs of the love and appreciation that your family has for you.For the most part I think we don't take the time to let those that mean the most to us know just how important they are. ☼
Love,
G.

Will Webbyte said...

Treasure it while you can. The house will soon be silent.

I hope you have made plans or preparations to occupy yourself in the future.

Plus, grandkids are fun!:) Oh yeah1:)

amyraye said...

loved this post. :)