Friday, February 12, 2010

I'm A Mother.

There are times that I still freak out that I actually have kids and I'm a parent.

How did that happen? (besides the obvious)
How in the world am I being trusted to raise three kids?

I'll find myself saying or doing something that only a Mom would do and for a second, I can't believe it.

I own a mini-van.
I drive carpool.
I am a Mom.
Holy shit!

Am I raising them right?

How many years of therapy will they need because of me?

Then, every once in a while, something happens and I think that I am doing this right. I am not failing as a parent.

Today Ben asked me if he could call Santa.

My first thought was that he was putting in a request 11 months early.

David was at work conducting interviews, so I couldn't call him. The only other man that will answer the phone whenever I call is my Dad. So, we called him.

I'm sure he was a little confused when I called him Santa, but he quickly caught on when I told him that Ben wanted to tell him something.

You know what Ben wanted to tell him?

Thank you for the Buzz Lightyear that he'd brought for Christmas.

Maybe my kids won't need a therapist after all.

A mother can only hope.

3 comments:

Linda said...

That is soooo sweet!

Look at how long I've been a Mom now and I still oftentimes pause and ask myself similar questions. I often say that I have no clue as to what I'm doing and by the time I think I've figured it out, she will be grown and gone away.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I remember the first Santa call. I thought maybe he was putting in his birthday request. ☺
You are the best Mom ever and everyone that knows you , I'm sure, will agree. We are all blessed to have you as part of our lives.
Enjoy your little Ben because one day in the not too far distant future he'll not want to call Santa.He'll be making much bigger demands on your pocket book.☼ Love,
G.

pam said...

Ben is such a thoughtful, sweet boy. Give him lots of birthday hug and kisses for me!