Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happy Mexican

One of my favorite types of food is Mexican. Enchiladas, tacos, tostadas, nachos, burritos, how can you go wrong? It's all good. David and I make good mexican at home. He's perfected the rice. We make some tasty refried black beans. Our shredded chicken or beef filling is pretty spot on too.

I don't want to go out for Mexican because I like what we make at home. With one exception, the SALSA. I could have chips and salsa for dinner at a Mexican restaurant and be completely satisfied. By the time the food comes, I just want to tell the waiter to put it in a to go box.

When David and I were on our weddingmoon in St. Lucia we stayed at a Sandals resort. The food is included and we'd find ourselves taking our lunch down by the beach. By day 10 of our 17 day trip, we were dying for a pepperoni pizza and mexican food. Imagine our delight when we found out it was taco day. I loaded up a big plate of chips and salsa to surprise David. He was surprised all right. It tasted like ketchup with corn niblets in it. The Caribbean has a thing or two to learn about salsa.

I'm always disappointed with jarred salsa from the store. It just never tastes right. Last week, the Pioneer Woman posted a recipe for restaurant style salsa. After how good her rolls were, I figured I had to give it a shot.

We are on our second batch now. I took the cute little photo above, but this stuff is so good you won't eat it like that. Grab the bag and bowl and enjoy!


Make it for Super Bowl Sunday and everyone will be more interested in the food table than the game. Isn't that how it usually is anyway?

***We only used half the seeds from the jalapeno as a precautionary measure. Every jalapeno has it's own spicy personality. It's always best to err on the side of caution. It was perfect.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina, thanks for including a link to the salsa recipe! I'll be heading to the store for the ingredients tomorrow. Can't wait to mix up a big batch. Yum!

Kathi

pam said...

I, too, love your Mexican food! You can have me over for tacos anytime! Can't wait to try the salsa. Looks great!!

farash's folk said...

hi dear,im ur latest follower,i really liked to read abt ur children,its also very exciting to read abt mexican food.keepit up!
regards,
folks

Linda said...

Mexican is a favorite of Sarah and I but Jim hates it. He will never touch salsa, but Sarah and I especially like the salsa and chips at our Chevy's, which is Americanized-mexican, but we actually prefer it to the authentic. Funny you write about this, because yesterday afternoon, the manager from our Chevys where Jim and I were regular Saturday customers for several years, because he can order a burger there, I can have mexican, and we both enjoy a super large, strong Margarita (the best), stopped in by our office and brought salsa and chips. They too make the salsa fresh and it's delicious. I've made salsa at home, but even then it never tastes like theirs.

Thanks for the recipe. Sarah and I would enjoy it on a movie night, since none of us will even be watching the super bowl - non-sport fans, lol.

Linda said...

Mexican is a favorite of Sarah and I but Jim hates it. He will never touch salsa, but Sarah and I especially like the salsa and chips at our Chevy's, which is Americanized-mexican, but we actually prefer it to the authentic. Funny you write about this, because yesterday afternoon, the manager from our Chevys where Jim and I were regular Saturday customers for several years, because he can order a burger there, I can have mexican, and we both enjoy a super large, strong Margarita (the best), stopped in by our office and brought salsa and chips. They too make the salsa fresh and it's delicious. I've made salsa at home, but even then it never tastes like theirs.

Thanks for the recipe. Sarah and I would enjoy it on a movie night, since none of us will even be watching the super bowl - non-sport fans, lol.