Wednesday, January 27, 2010

8 Hours Straight

One of the hardest things about having a baby is the lack of sleep. Sure, I still get 8 hours of sleep a night, but it's always broken up by an hour (sometimes two) when I have to get up to feed Noah. The feeding and diaper change usually only lasts 20-30 minutes. It's the falling back to sleep part that is difficult.

The sleepless nights started well before Noah ever came. I was up with all sorts of pains thinking I was getting old. I didn't quite realize my liver was about to rupture. Oops. It's been about 8 months since I've had 8 hours of STRAIGHT sleep. I'm starting to go a little crazy.

We all caught colds last week, Noah included. We had the worst night that we've ever had with him on Friday. He was up from 1 AM to 7 AM. It was horrible. The only thing worse than having a sick baby is having a sick baby and being sick yourself.

We were supposed to go to Phoenix for an adult only party on Saturday. My Dad and Suzy were coming up to babysit. We didn't go. I was exhausted and I felt crummy. My Dad and Suzy came up anyway. Suzy took the baby monitor and told me to get a good nights rest. Oh sweet Jesus, can it be that I get 8 hours of straight sleep?

The good intent was there. But between being stuffed up and secretly coming out to make sure Suzy wasn't suffering with Noah like we had the night before, I still didn't get a good nights rest. Turns out, the kid slept until 6:20. Unfortunately, Suzy didn't sleep either as she was worried about waking up to get Noah. Turns out, the only one who slept well was the baby.

Today, David had to leave early for a meeting in Flagstaff. Which meant he had to wake me up an hour early. I am really not a morning person. But, I did get to see my first sunrise in a very long time.

Sunrises are overrated.

I'd rather get an extra hour of sleep and watch the sunset.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you posted this so early this morning, I guess you put your early morning rising to good use. After the great job you did last week of journaling your two snow days I have been constantly checking for updates and saw there was nothing filling the void. So WELCOME back.
I know what you mean about having trouble getting back to sleep in the middle of the night. I hate that feeling. You always wake up tired in the morning. And yes, that seems to happen more frequently as we get older. Getting up to use the bathroom is the worse waker upper for me. I hate it. I guess once the feet hit the floor that's a signal to my body to wakey wakey.. All bad for sure.
Other than that I hope your week is going well, and that David returns safely , Guessing the rains must have ended and that life goes back to normal.☼
love,
G.

Linda said...

I had to laugh because I haven't had an uninterrupted, full night's sleep in YEARS. I'm up almost every night, every hour - I walk around the house, get a drink of water, go on the computer, move to the couch, lay there wide awake. That's just how it's been. I told Jim one time that when we were first together, I should have just had another baby because I'm up all night anyway.

Seriously, I know it's no fun and hope you get your rest since you have much more to keep you busy throughout your days than I do, at least in the form of children. :) Though my sleepless nights, still mean I have to get up at 5:45 a.m. and drive to work at 6:30. I see lots of sunsets across the flat farmland and to me, they're often the only bright spot of that drive - well, that and the music.

By the way, when you have a chance - I named you in a blog award - see my blog.

Love, Linda